Look at these situations with apologies and then try to choose the right answers from the questions below.
1. You accidentally tread on someone's foot on the bus.
Man: Ow! Be careful, would you?
a. Oh, I was.
b. Yes, thank you, sorry.
c. Oh dear, pardon me!
2. You are late for a meeting with your friend.
Friend: What happened to you? You're late.
a. I know - I forgot the time. Let me buy you some coffee
b. I really am most extremely sorry.
c. I beg you to pardon me.
3. Your friend has split coffee on your jeans.
Friend: Oh damn! I'm sorry.
a. Yes, you are!
b. Ow! I should think so.
c. Please do not mention it again.
4. Someone has just asked you the way to Rose Crescent.
a. I don't know. Excuse me, I am afraid
b. Um .. no, sorry, no idea, I'm afraid
c. Excuse me, why don't you buy a map?
5. You have lost the book your friend has lent to you.
a. I feel bad about this. I'll buy another one.
b. Sorry, I can't find it, ok?
c. Excuse me, your sorry book is lost.
6. You are in a bar.
Your friend says: I'm sorry, I forgot my money
a. You are sorry too.
b. That's all right then.
c. It's ok, I'm buying the drinks.
7. You have dropped something heavy on a man's foot.
a. Oh, excuse me, that was heavy.
b. Sorry, did I drop something? Oh dear.
c. I'm very sorry. Are you ok?
8. You want to get out of the bus. Someone is in your way.
a. Excuse me, get out of the way.
b. I'm sorry that I'm getting out.
c. Excuse me, I'm getting out.