Past Continuous - Something which happened over a period of time in the past.
How to use the Past Continuous with the Simple past:
Past Continuous + when + Simple Past
Simple Past + while + Past Continuous
Ann was reading the book when her father came home.
Ann's father came home while she was reading the book.
1. Pete rang while I was watching TV.
2. Jane was playing tennis when it started to rain.
3. Jack was walking home when the dog attacked him.
4. I fell down and broke my leg while I was skiing.
Yesterday at lunch time (
1. Jim (cook) lunch when his mother (call) on the phone.
2. His dog (run) into the kitchen while he (talk) to her.
3. The dog (eat) his lunch when he (come) back.
4. Jim (shout) at the dog, so it (run) away.
5. Jim (chase) the dog when he (fall).
6. The doorbell (ring) while he (lie) on the floor.
7. His friend came in and caught the dog.